May 29, 2012

Pin It

Widgets

KENTON Magazine x Shoppalu + A Haute Mess

I recently did a feature with KENTON Magazine, who enlisted me to style Alternative Apparel's Printed Fishtail skirt, from Shoppalu. The challenge? To wear it not once, not twice, but -- wait for it -- three times. Yes, thrice!

I really didn't want to over-style it since it's an easy, comfy, jersey skirt -- one of those pieces you can throw on with your other favourite easy pieces, and still feel put together. So I went for that, and like the critically acclaimed Step Up film franchise, took it to The Streets. I mean, I wore it places, as could you:

Wear it to Work

(I wore it to a meeting, but those of you that actually work in public and not from your couch could easily make it work, for work.)

sweater: Vero Moda, skirt: Shoppalu, shoes: Ash, bag: Rebecca Minkoff, necklace: Shoppalu

Wear it to a Party, or to Cocktails, or on a Date

(And if you're date is going well, maybe even undo a couple of buttons on that top. I'm just saying.)

blazer: BB Dakota, blouse: Sheinside, skirt: Shoppalu, shoes: Zara, clutch: vintage, sunglasses: Super, bracelets: Olivia Solie, Noir Jewelry, Stella & Dot

Wear it on the Weekend

(I wore it to Mother's Day brunch. I tried to be creative and wear the short side, on my side, but my mom kindly informed me that I was wearing it wrong, which yes, stifled my creativity, but thankfully, my douchebaggery too.)

vest: Club Monaco, tee: T by Alexander Wang, skirt: Shoppalu, shoes: ASOS, bag: House of Harlow 1960, necklace: Shoppalu, bracelets: Noir Jewelry, Stella & Dot, sunglasses: Prada
 
 
See the entire feature on KENTON here!


***
follow A HAUTE MESS on
TWITTER | FACEBOOK | TUMBLR | BLOGLOVIN | PINTEREST

21 comments:

  1. I like the BB Dakota blazer with the Shoppalu skirt in the second pair of photos. The bias on the hemline cut of the Alternative Apparel's Printed Fishtail skirt from Shoppalu is extreme enough to give me an idea for one of those "No Pants" events: I could wear it backwards and roll it up far enough that my knickers showed from behind and still look like I was wearing a normal skirt from the front! The pattern on the skirt is pretty. I also like the Vero Moda sweater in the first pair of photos. Your facial expressions are fabulous! You must be very fun-loving.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute skirt! Love how you styled it for a party!

    Tiffany
    http://shoeschampagne.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great skirt! I'm a sucker for the whole high-low thing right now. Good stylin Niki!

    Jen
    www.prairiegirlinthecity.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. The 2nd outfit is the strongest for me (without the blazer). Perhaps it would look more polished with a different colour bra or a camisole.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Missy - nahhh, my granny beige bra is way too sexy to cover up with a cami, don't cha think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Now that you mention it, it does add an element of surprise and then intrigue a la "cougar chic" ;)

      Delete
  6. Love it! Particularly Look 1, which has that French girl "I don't have to try, I'm just naturally this stylish" vibe about it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the way you styled the skirt! Great post! :) XOXO, www.NatalyasCloset.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it! Thoroughly enjoy perusing your blog, one of the few fashionistas that doesn't take it too seriously. Very refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thansk tina! i try i try. we have to at least acknowledge the ridiculousness of style blogging somehow, don't we? haha

      Delete
  9. Of course each outfit is fabulous! I have a sweater exactly like yours in the first outfit, so I'm going to have to copy you and hope I look half as cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! and do it! silver sweaters are AWESOME

      Delete
  10. Love your pops of color!!!

    -Carmen

    http://wearmint.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that silver jumper :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks sadie!! mine is sold out but there's a similar one at H&M right now :)

      Delete
  12. I like the last outfit best. That vest really does go with everything!

    http://initialed.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. love the dress!
    http://www.go2bagtrade.com for designer handbags

    ReplyDelete