April 9, 2012

Pin It

Widgets

It's Britney, B*tch.

Isn't that what one says when making a comeback?

Welcome back to the new and improved version of A Haute Mess! Fine, it looks exactly the same so it's not really "new," and I can't call it "improved" having not posted any new content yet, so I guess what I'm trying to say is just... welcome back! Thank you for your patience during my brief longer than planned blog break.

The blog break wasn't just some much needed space from my computer. I needed to take some time to think about what the heck I wanted to do with this blog, and what the future of this blog entails.

I started it a couple of years ago with the purpose of having a new creative outlet, and to find my place in the fabulous and fun world of fashion. Fast forward to now, and it's done so much more than that. 





Me and A Haute Mess have had some big adventures together, from rubbing elbows with athletes and celebrities during the 2010 Olympic Winter Games, hosting events, stomping around New York Fashion Week, working with MTV Canada, and being a part of a national campaign with Schick Quattro for Women. I never thought I would see my mug on Vogue Paris, Glamour, and on the pages of FLARE.

This is all very exciting stuff, and I'm not trying to toot my own horn -- let's save that for narcissistic personal style posts, shall we? None of this would've been possible without you, my sweet, precious, beloved readers. What started as being just for me, is most definitely not anymore. I really do feel as though we're in this together, and over the past few months, I've been lost and uninspired with it. Naturally, this also made me feel as though I was letting you down. Enter: Blog Break.


I needed to take some time without the pressure to update, to think about what I wanted to share with you, and how I wanted to do it. So moving forward, my content is going to be a little bit different (but don't worry, the weird that makes this blog what it is, ain't going nowhere):

1. A Weekly Interview Series


Every Monday, I'm going to post an interview with someone in fashion, beauty, writing, or, uh, life, that is worth you knowing about, or at least knowing more about. The first in this series will be posted later today, and trust me, it's a goodie. You'll want to get your butts back here around say, 11:00 AM PST.

2. Regular Updates


My blog updates were so sporadic back on the old Haute Mess. I'd check in every day for a while, and then disappear like a Deadbeat Dad or sketchy boyfriend (or both, if you have an unfortunately Freudian taste in men). To this, I say, "no mo'!" -- I will be updating every day, and will even have weekly features (see #1).

3. More Style


And not just my own! I'm going to continue sharing my favourite outfits with you, but talking about me all the time is B-O-R-I-N-G. (That spells "boring," my dear dyslexic friends.) Let's talk more about other people with cool style and how we can swack them.

4. More Lifestyle


Surprise! Being a fashion blogger isn't all about wearing cute outfits and going to cool events. But yay! A lot of it is! Either way, l'mma show you more about all the weird and cool stuff that goes on, because being in fashion is surprisingly unglamorous, but also really cool. It's a total mindf*ck.

A Few More Announcements...


While I have your ear, I figured I'd also update you on a few things that I haven't had the chance to blog about, mainly because I suck at talking about serious things, and my life has largely been up in the air as of late -- both literally and figuratively.
  • This is REALLY sad, and I hate that I have to say this on the internet, but my dear doggy is very sick. I'm only announcing this because the one, the only, the incomparable Benny Blasina has developed a fan base of his own via this wee blog (remember how he got a shout out in FLARE too?) and it's been terrible answering the "how is he?" questions with "he has cancer." I don't know what else to say about this except that waiting for your best friend of 16 years to die is awful. For now, his pain is manageable and he's still happy and in good spirits, and that's the best we can hope for.
  • I no longer work in public relations. I never made an online announcement about this, but I called it quits back in December. I realized that PR wasn't a good fit for me, so I closed this chapter in my life to focus on blogging and writing full time. Yay! Thank you to everyone who has sent me client recommendations and who have applied to work with me over the past few months -- this interest did not go unappreciated.
  • On that note, I know that being "A Haute Mess" won't be my life forever. It can't be! Are you really going to be checking in on my outfits when I'm 40? Of course not. So, I applied to graduate school, and in one of the biggest moments of my life (it included a lot of tears and profanity), I was accepted into Columbia University's Masters in Journalism program. High five!

That should sum it up. If any of you have any comments, suggestions, or recommendations, let me know! If there is anything you would like to see more or less of, please do let me know. This is about us all, remember?

XOXO,
Niki


***
follow A HAUTE MESS on
TWITTER | FACEBOOK | TUMBLR | BLOGLOVIN

14 comments:

  1. Wow! Congrats on getting into the Journalism program :) Hope you kick butt xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Niki, I'm so proud of everything you've accomplished with A Haute Mess. I can't wait to see what you continue to do with it, and I'm so excited for you to come to New York! Send Benny some love and belly rubs. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the life changes! Can't wait to keep reading the "new" blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back! Congrats on all of the successes you've achieved so far and your acceptance into Columbia's journalism program. I'm really sorry to hear about Benny though; he's such a sweetheart and he will be missed when he's gone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on Journalism school! That is huge and as someone considering going back for some more torture slash amazing school fun of my own it helps to see someone else faced the tears, traumas and hell that would be the application process... I may have just talked myself out of it. In any case - congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the new changes in your life!!

    Tiffany
    http://shoeschampagne.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome Back and congratulations on Journalism School! Such an exciting next step.

    Jen xo
    www.prairiegirlinthecity.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, Congrats! And at the same time so sad to hear about your dog.

    http://initialed.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay for you! This all sounds so exciting (although I'm sorry to hear about your doggy). I can't wait to see all the new and exciting...as long as you continue to entertain me with your insanely awesome humor I'm happy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on Columbia! That's amazing! And congrats on all the blog success. Your fans down D.C. look forward to all the good stuff to come!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on Columbia Niki! Sorry to hear about Benny :( and looking forward to your new content :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on Columbia! Can't wait for the new and amazing content!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Welcome back! It sounds like you had an inspiring "blog break" and I am looking forward to seeing more posts! And also... congratulations on Columbia. That's fantastic news!

    xo Leonie

    On Top Of The Hill

    ReplyDelete