December 27, 2011

Pin It

Widgets

Do-It-Yourself: A Neon & Crystal Bracelet

It's been a while since I've done a do-it-yourself post. Have you missed them? Please say yes. The reason for this absence is that I usually share my craftastic adventures via my posts for MTV, and admittedly, I haven't submitted one in a while. No, I wasn't fired for talking about boob-sweat, pit stains and the frequency of sloth procreation in my fashion week coverage -- I'm still contributing to FORA but in a much more exciting capacity: a coming-soon weekly column! More on this later, because a DIY post I have and here it is.


This neon crystal bracelet is inspired by this neon crystal cuff from Noir Jewelry. The key words being "inspired by" because as you can see, the inspiration is much nicer than the one I created. Nevertheless, the one I made is practically free, as opposed to $120, so let's call it even and get to it.

What you need to Do-It-Yourself:


Instead of clip-on earrings, you can use other crystals such as a brooch or old jewels. Anything that can be easily sewn to the ribbon, or better yet, glued to it, will work. However, you'll need to use a better adhesive than fabric glue, like hot glue, or if you're sewing, use clear thread.



Hold (or glue) one end of your ribbon to the inside of the bangle. Wrap the ribbon around the bangle (as in the image above) by looping it over the outside and back through the inside.



When the entire bangle is covered in ribbon, glue the ribbon's end to the inside of the bangle. Trim off any excess ribbon, and use only a drop or two of glue.



Clip your earrings to your bracelet and voila! You're all done. If the earrings you chose don't snap closed very tightly, glue the backs of the earrings to the inside of the bracelet. If you didn't use clip-on earrings, sew or glue whatever crystals or jewels you have chosen to the ribbon, but do use clear thread or a small amount of hot glue.



Enjoy!

***
TWITTER | FACEBOOK | TUMBLR | BLOGLOVIN

11 comments:

  1. These are so cute. The styles and designs were gorgeous.

    Much love from the SABO SKIRT girls!
    SHOP: http://www.saboskirt.com
    BLOG: http://www.saboskirt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. such a lovely update <3

    let' s visit our blog
    www.fashion-ache.blogspot.com


    xoxo k&m

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice DIY! I have a whole bunch of bangles AND brooches that I hardly ever wear. And I think I also have some pretty ribbon laying around. Score!

    Houndstooth & Faux Fur

    ReplyDelete
  4. Weekly column?! I'm pumped to hear about this. And I like the bracelet DIY too. Hope you had a dead serious lovely Christmas. :) Love those photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is such a pretty bracelet and fun DIY. It made me think of a friend of mine. Maybe I'll surprise her with one. Thanks for sharing and congrats on your weekly column! - Carla

    www.hautecocktail.blogsot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw that's so pretty! And I think I could actually do that myself! Thanks for sharing. :)

    <3Chelsea Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  7. awesome DIY! i need to try this. it looks great. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loving it! The neon green is amazing, this would be perfect for NYE, maybe with a couple others stacked on top as well. So exciting about MTV! Can't wait to hear more about it.

    Hope you had a great Christmas :)

    Alex xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely idea! So simple and easy to make :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I see so many recycling your clip on earrings articles these days (fortunately not seen one on our ones!) but this is one of the classier than gluing it on the front of your shoes. Neat idea Niki (from a Kits girl in London!). Facebook Like coming up =)

    ReplyDelete