October 18, 2011

Pin It

Widgets

a coupla' must-haves

Without slamming you with the usual awkward photos of myself, I would like to share two of my "must-have items" for Fall with you (token cheesy fashion-speak count: 1). As you know from reading this here blog, I'm not very fond of wearing pants. I don't mean like Dolce & Gabbana SS12 pantslessness, but a personal preference for wearing skirts and shorts instead. Perhaps this is a result of having spent the majority of my life in a Catholic school uniform, like my usual disdain for velvet based on my past as a figure skater. Yes, it's true. I was a figure skating Catholic school girl. I can't believe people trust my take on fashion either. Nevertheless, I love me a good "fall short". Don't you?

I'm also not big on winter jackets simply because they tend to break the bank and I don't go a bank-breaking as much as I would like to. My cold-weather coat is usually the element of my wardrobe I am actually quite practical about as I invest in a piece that will be wearable for a few seasons: a neutral colour (typically black or navy) in a classic silhouette. "Boring!" says everyone. So this season, why not also invest in a fun and casual winter jacket in addition to the Boring one?

To summarize the disturbing anecdote about my childhood-induced adult affinity for going pantsless and my disappointment with my lack of indulgence in material goods above, two items I think you must have this Fall are seasonally appropriate shorts and a non-boring warm jacket. My must-have must-haves are this fair isle duffel coat by Smythe and these wool shorts from JNBY, below. Oh, and I know I am werqing the sex appeal like crayyy in this outfit. The key is the button-down shirt buttoned-up to the very top, it's super Phil Mickelson chic.

coat: Smythe, shirt: vintage, shorts: JNBY.

I've been talking a lot of game about Smythe lately (Oh Canada!) and this coat is a perfect example of why I love this brand so much. Although you may not be able to see it in the photos, the details on this jacket are incredible. The faux fur that lines the hood is so soft I can't believe it's not butter bunny, and the two clasps that close the jacket are are mounted with beautiful caramel-coloured leather.

And the shorts? I'm always a fan of JNBY. They're just what you'd want in a pair of seasonally appropriate shorts: wool but not itchy, short but not beachy, plus, there are enjoyable details like a 5-button closure on the right-side's seam and a pleated crotch.

Both Smythe and JNBY are available online at my not-so-secret-love, shopbop.com.

To be continued...

10 comments:

  1. I like that coat!

    http://initialed.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute pairing shorts with the knit.

    http://ivefallenoutwithmyjeans.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. That coat is too cute. I love Smythe too... their tailoring and structured blazers are gorgeous.

    xo, alison*elle

    ReplyDelete
  4. that coat is so cute, it looks lovely and cuddly!

    http://lauranbrianna.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the coats paired with the shorts and button up, great post! XOXO, www.NatalyasCloset.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. cant wait to see how you style those shorts when it gets colder - i just don't think i can pull off tights and shorts but i reckon you'd look great!

    www.simplystylishmom.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have the same shorts and I adore them! Perfect for fall and winter and so easy to dress up or down - love versatility. JNBY have great pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG I love that jacket! It's so perfect for fall.

    -Ly
    http://www.lyzhang.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. You had me at pleated crotch. No seriously, the shorts are really frigging cool. As is the coat.

    ReplyDelete