March 2, 2011

Pin It

Widgets

more nyfw: mara hoffman and timmy g

Mara Hoffman has definitely been on my radar for a few years now (I most recently blogged about her Resort 2011 collection) so I was over the moon when I received my invite to her Fall/Winter 2011 presentation. As expected, she did not disappoint. The presentation was mellow and relaxed, complete with a live musical performance by Japanese band "Water Fai", whose ambient and ethereal sound was the perfect match for the tribal and spiritually inspired collection. Some photos:









I left the presentation with a new appreciation for fall/winter maxi-dresses and an overwhelming urge to put on some harem pants and start wearing veils. And turn back to force the models to eat the granola bar I had in my handbag.

Later that evening my partner-in-crime and in biz, Ashley, and I headed to a PETA party that was taking place at the Stella McCartney shop in the Meatpacking District. And so did...


...Tim Gunn!

He hosted the evening and presented a documentary that he recently narrated for PETA on how fur is obtained, called "Fashion Victims." It was horrifying. Way to be a buzzkill, Tim. Not even the open bar could bring me back to life after that. But seriously, it's very (veryVeryVERY) eye opening, very graphic, and will definitely change your mind about wearing even vintage fur. You can view it here, but please, consider yourselves warned.


Oh and did I mention Timmy G is the Nicest? Because he is. Meeting and chatting with him was definitely one of the highlights of our trip, hands down.

Make it work, people! Carry on.

14 comments:

  1. love the clothes they look comfortable!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cool that you got to meet Tim Gunn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! Everything looks amazing! Awesome blog you have here!

    xoxo,

    colormenana.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe you got to meet Tim Gunn, that's so cool!

    And I'm also really glad that you're touching upon (albeit briefly) on the issue of fur in fashion. I think it's just unbelievably cruel, especially when animals are bred specifically for that purpose, are treated inhumanely, and killed in the most unimaginable way possible. It just breaks my heart :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool photos!!! Especially the one with Tim Gunn, WOW! I love the Tribal feel of the clothing. XOXO, www.NatalyasCloset.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. love it, the patterns especially!
    Enter my 1st giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a little jealous of your life! : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loving the fashion blog just thought I'd stop by to show my interest. I'm actually part of a non-profit organization that sells designer clothes for cheap for a good cause. If you could check out the website I would greatly appreciate it thank you <3

    www.styleta.org
    www.facebook.com/styleta

    ReplyDelete
  9. Simply amazing!


    Don't forget to check out my upcoming blog on:

    http://misscouturevintagex.blogspot.com/

    X

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing!


    Don't forget to check out my upcoming blog on:

    http://misscouturevintagex.blogspot.com/

    X

    ReplyDelete
  11. ahh love Mara Hoffman's collection! I love the prints she used.
    That's also so cool how you got to meet Tim Gunn!
    I'm also your newest follower, please stop by my blog and follow me back if you like! =)

    -Christine
    http://trendenvy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your blog!

    Check out mine and please follow if you'd like:
    www.SimpleStyleSecrets.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. dope! i follow your blog on the regular. you should follow mine:) WWW.COLORSOFJOELLE.COM for the LATEST in fashion & my journey to becoming a designer!

    ReplyDelete
  14. i could not finish watching the doc. thanks for posting it though

    ReplyDelete