March 31, 2011

Pin It

Widgets

drugstore beauty review featuring our friends dove, l'oreal and maybelline

I've recently had some good luck trying drugstore beauty products that I thought I would share with you. I love discovering new products that actually do what they're supposed to, and moreover, do it well! The best part about all of these make-up bag and bathroom counter-worthy picks? They're all under ten dollars.

1. Dove Visibly Smooth Anti-Perspirant/Deoderant promises the usual 24 hour odor and wetness protection, with a twist: it's said to minimize the appearance of underarm hair over time.



The Verdict: it does! Not only does Dove Visibly Smooth keep me smelling like a stress-free and physically inactive wild rose-scented lady, but my underarm shaves last noticeably longer. My pits have been smooth like the bottom of a baby.

2. L'Oreal Paris Voluminous Million Lashes promises a clump-free, ultra-volumized clean lash look, thickened from root to tip.



The Verdict: It is clump free, volumizing and lengthening and I would recommend giving it a try. I've been a huge advocate of Dior's Diorshow for years and have always cited CoverGirl's Lash Blast as my wallet-friendly mascara pick, but I might be changing my tune and adding this gold tube to my regular mix.

3. Maybelline New York Super Stay 24 Lip Colour promises to last all day with no crumbling, caking, fading, feathering or transferring. All you have to do is apply the colour to clean, bare lips, allow to dry for two minutes, then top with the accompanying conditioning balm to seal in softness.



The Verdict: It lasts so long and it doesn't budge. I've fallen asleep with it on (your fault, Don Julio) and woke up in the morning and it was still there. It does crumble a bit, but given that I primarily wore it in February in New York when my lips had never been dryer and were at their chapped-est -- it's forgivable. Thus, I still give it two thumbs up and would recommend it to anyone looking for a quality, budget-friendly, long-wear lip colour.

Well friends, you're not even $30 away from Kardashian lashes, lip colour that lasts so long red wine would be jealous and the best looking armpits of your life. Happy Shopping!

ps. Don't forget to RSVP to the event at GUESS Robson this Wednesday! I'm looking forward to seeing y'all there.

pps. You still have time to enter the Perricone MD giveaway! Entering to win is very, very easy. All it takes is a comment on this post.

12 comments:

  1. I love this post.I'm. A fan of dior show as well but will pick up the mascara for everyday use

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review, I'll have to try these out! XOXO, www.NatalyasCloset.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I've ever seen that Maybelline lip colour in drugstores! It sounds like a more affordable version of MAC's Lasting Lust.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post!! I think I will definitely give some of those a try :)


    Jacquelyn
    www.styleworthwhile.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dove, L'Oreal and Maybelline all test on animals. That's why this is a terrible review. Invest in some quality products who are animal cruelty FREE. & stick with Mac. Look it up, have a heart. kbye

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Lisa - it's possible that it's not available in Canada yet, I picked mine up in New York. Will have to fact check that.

    @A - I didn't know that these brands test on animals, thank you for sharing. As a huge animal lover I'm very disappointed to learn this. But in my defense, the choices of certain companies doesn't make my review terrible as you said -- I tested these products on myself. My review is terrible because I uncomfortably talk about my own armpits and reference a time when I passed out drunk.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I adore the L'Oreal mascara! I've been using it religiously since it debuted last summer. And now I really want to try the long wear lip color- I really dislike most but I mean, what girl doesn't want her lip stick to last all day? :)

    Although that is really sad about the animal testing. . . like you said it's a shame that big companies haven't seen the light!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great list of products now I want to try all of these, especially the Loreal mascara. Also, great job on handling that commenter.. that person was almost on the verge of being needlessly rude.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for posting this I am going to have to try all these items :)
    You have inspired me to do a similar post too which I will do soon about some other great products that every woman should have ;)

    XO Veronica
    fashi0npassi0n.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello darling,

    I love your blog and now s!following!!! Would you come in mine and follow me?i'd be very happy!
    XOXO

    http://kassandra-beinstyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. ive been a diorshow girl for years. recently converted to maybelline the falsies mascara and i dare say its WAAAAYY better.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your review! I'm suck a sucker for drugstore products, but I always end up wishing I hadn't bothered. I'll definitely be trying these products.
    Have a great day!
    -Ellie

    ReplyDelete