September 8, 2010

Pin It

Widgets

fashion against cancer: 22 ways to say black

When I was a volunteer at Children's Hospital I could never walk through the cancer ward without tearing up; it was absolutely heart wrenching. A few years ago, a friend of mine was diagnosed with Hodgkin's disease. Yesterday, I learned that a classmate of my boyfriend had passed away -- yet another victim of this horrible disease. It's a tragedy when it affects anyone, but it seems like its increasing victims are so young. People who haven't even really lived yet, are losing their lives to it. I hate the stupid disease and I know everyone else out there does too. Can someone please find a cure already?

I was sent info on this amazing initiative yesterday: 22 Ways to Say Black. Donna Karan, Riccardo Tisci for Givenchy, Armani, Diane von Furstenberg, among others, designed 22 custom little black dresses adorned with sparkling Swarovski Elements. The dresses will be auctioned at a glamorous event in New York at Philips de Pury on September 20th with 100% of the proceeds going to the American Cancer Society and La Ligue Contre le Cancer in France. I've posted a video about the campaign below, and of course, my favourite dresses up for auction.










I, unfortunately (the understatement of the year), will not be in New York this September, but I thought I would do my part to help spread awareness of this important event as well as encourage those of you in NYC to attend and support. So if you can, please do. For more information, visit Swarovski Elements on Facebook.

And now back to our regular programming. Have you entered the Haute Giveaway yet? You can enter to win a beautiful bracelet: the Maltese cuff by Stella & Dot. All you have to do is comment on the post. Do it. I dare you!

9 comments:

  1. i've lost relatives to cancer and it is an awful disease. i always fear one day it will affect me as well. this is such a great event, i wish i was going to be in NY for it! i love how the fashion industry is doing its part to spread the word and raise money!

    lifespelledjen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. this post sent chills up my spine. without getting to personal, I am a huge supporter of cancer research and fundraising. I like being anony because I hate having someone give me a pat on the back for the work that i do. However, I am currently battling (round 2 for us) a fight for my mom with cancer. We can do this <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kudos to you for highlighting such a great cause.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Riccardo Tisci dress is such a beauty. I would buy it in a heartbeat if I had the cash! And for a good cause! I'm sure it will end up on someone fabulous like Daphne Guinness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. its a great cause, those clothing items look great too. I really like it when fashion designers etc help raise money for these causes

    ReplyDelete
  6. Embellished dress is unbelievable. What a great cause :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is such a horrible disease and my heart goes out to you and your boyfriend for you loss. These are beautiful dresses and I really admire the cause! XOXO, Natalya

    ReplyDelete
  8. I heard about this, it's such a great event. Anything anyone can do to help fight cancer is good in my books. All these dresses are gorgeous, although my favourite would have to be the Gianfranco Ferre :)

    ReplyDelete