August 10, 2010

Pin It

Widgets

Lululemon; quintessentially West Coast. But Vancouver does Lululemon better than anyone

A guest post by Erin Gee, Editor-in-Chief and Co-Founder of Define Magazine, a social media lifestyle magazine covering business, entertainment, technology, health and fashion. Erin also writes the food, fashion and travel blog, Haus of Hybrid. She has awesome style -- in both writing and fashion! Be sure to visit her often. Here's Erin:

Founded in 1998 in Vancouver, BC, Lululemon now has over 100 stores on 3 continents. With stores in Canada, the US, Australia and Hong Kong, it would be safe to say that they're not doing too badly! Lululemon creates technical yoga-inspired clothing and apparel. Their products are not only used for yoga, but also running, dancing and now, even work. Yes, work.


In September 2009, Lululemon opened its first Lab in Vancouver. I had no idea what the Lululemon Lab was about until recently when Niki and I attended a blogger event at the Lab.


The Lab is a Lululemon specialty store. They have in-house design and sewing teams to create designs for Lululemon that can't be found in their regular stores.
Literally, the design team, with the help of their inspiration boards, design the pieces, create patterns, cut, sew, and produce all the pieces found in the store. The best part? As an Educator (Lululemon staffer) or customer, you can see the process come together, since the store and sewing room share the same space.

When I said that the pieces made at the Lululemon Lab could double as work wear, I wasn’t kidding. The design team creates pieces that can easily go from work to yoga – soft, tailored basics that, unless scrutinized, can pass for work or casual wear. No need to look like you’re always headed to workout!

You can follow the Lululemon Lab on Twitter: @lululemonlab

And you can follow Erin on Twitter too! @erin_gee and @DefineMag. Thank you Erin!

11 comments:

  1. Hehe I like this guest post bait-and-switch thing you two have arranged for today! I interviewed Blanche Macdonald grad Jillian Rothert for Vancouver Fashion eZine a while ago; she works at Lululemon Lab. Her grad collection was impressive for its attention to detail, utilitarian approach, and slick urban design sensibility. If her aesthetic is any indication of what's being produced at Lululemon Lab, I can definitely see how it's streetwear and work-appropriate and not just yoga gear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting concept! How long does it take to produce a finished product once a design is chosen?

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice blog =)
    love your pictures a lot.

    www.therawpower.blogspot.com
    a new fashion blogger based in Australia and Hong Kong.
    I will have a ""what is in my bag" post in few days, stay tune !
    xo
    Esther

    ReplyDelete
  4. omgah you look tall, thin and fabulous. gotta love lululemon. that brand does nothing wrong and so very many things right.

    xoxo,
    carrie

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like some great gear - I should probably check it out for when I do hot yoga

    http://pagesixxx.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. lululemon gear is soo comfy! everyone should have some lululove in their closet :)

    following you now, hope you can follow me back!

    xox-
    www.ninaonthemoon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lululemon Lab--eeek, hard for me to pronounce yet :)

    thyaudaciousness.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never been to the lab yet but I hear really cool things about it and I like the photos, gives me a better idea of how the place looks from the inside. Damn, now I'm sad that I couldn't make it out to the event; it looks like you and Erin had fun! I love the concept of an in-house design team! I'm definitely going to have to make a trip down soon, I'm in need of new workout clothes and there's a pair of harem-like pants that I saw on another blog that I must try on!

    On another note: great minds do think alike! How about that? ;) Would still love to see your styled looks with your Madewell blouse!

    ReplyDelete
  9. so inspiring blog!

    Come follow my blog:
    http://thefashionreflections.blogspot.com/

    &fresh retro shots

    xx
    karla

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds like a really good store. Great pictures!!:)SarahD

    ReplyDelete