May 4, 2010

Pin It

Widgets

The Costume Institute's American Woman Gala

I'm not that into red carpet style, but the Met Ball is one red carpet that I really look forward too. I must say for a Costume Institute Gala the fashion this year was pretty disappointing, but I still present to you the Haute, the Haute Messes and the Honorable Mentions (in my humble opinion at least).

THE HAUTE MESSES

L: Diane von Furstenberg in DVF. I love you Diane but you know better than this. Save it for July 4th.
R: Christina Hendricks in L'Wren Scott. Where do I even begin?


L: Jessica Alba is Sophie Theallet & R: Jessica Biel in Ralph Lauren.
As usual the Jessicas try too hard. Although Alba takes the try-hard cake. She doesn't look bad, per say, it's just too obvious. Biel in a mission to look effortless looks a little more like Afternoon Delight in a bed sheet and bedhead. JT gets a B.


L: Elizabeth Banks in Gucci. Yes that is a 36 year old wearing an outfit straight out of Jenny Humphrey's closet. Not OK Lizzy. Save this look for the Teen Choice Awards.
R: January Jones in Yves Saint Laurent. There's just something about pink satin that doesn't fly with me and don't even let me start on the makeup. Betty Draper where are you?



THE HAUTE aka My Favourites

L: Sienna Miller in Emilio Pucci. Love the colour. Plus the fact that Jude and Sienna are back together after much infidelity, home-wrecking and illegitimate baby mama drama restores my faith in Hollywood romance. But not really.
R: Gisele Bundchen in Alexander Wang. A leather and fringe mini? Of course I love love LOVE it.


L: Rachel Roy & Liya Kebede in Rachel Roy, R: Chanel Iman in Michael Kors.
Hello pants! Finally something a little different to spice it up a bit. Love that gold Michael Kors.


L: Kristen Stewart in Chanel Haute Couture. I love this dress but bring me Diane Kruger! Judy Attitude-y just doesn't do it justice (but I guess I would be pissed too if I was flying solo sans R.Patz).
R: Karolina Kurkova in Joseph Altuzarra. Possibly my favourite look of the night. It's well worn, well accessorized and it's Spring!



THE HONORABLE MENTIONS

L: Tina Fey in YSL. You can tell she hates the red carpet attention, but props to Tina for wearing something unexpected and a bit different! The fit is a bit off but lets let that slide. Tina's YSL > January Jones' YSL, hands down.
R: Sarah Jessica Parker in (you guessed it) Halston Heritage.


L: Chloe Sevigny in Proenza Schouler.
R: Blake Lively in Marchesa. In the sea of Marchesa this was my favourite but I can't help but think - what was Leighton Meester wearing? PS. is it just the fake tan or is Blake Lively starting to look like a Real Housewife of Orange County?


L: Alexa Chung in 3.1 Philip Lim. Major props for wearing a girl-tux. I personally don't love this look on her but give her credit. Plus, those 3.1 Philip Lim shoes are awesome.
R: Diane Kruger in Calvin Klein Collection. I think Joshua Jackson might've out-steezed her this time. She always looks classy but seriously - go trade dresses with Kristen Stewart.


Until next year!

17 comments:

  1. Blake takes it for me. That dress is so freaking fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE Chloe Sevigny's dress. So hard to pull off and she did it!

    I ADORE Alexa Chung and Chanel Iman - I'm a pants type of girl.

    What a fun life. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the photos! and your commentary is quite valid.

    girlwiththeflower.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really into Alexa and Chloe's outfits... both different looks but they total work for them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favs are Chloe's for daring and Diane for sheer class. haha your descriptions are hilarious. I cannot believe Sienna and Jude are back together - that's not heartening, that's dysfunctional!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the shoes on Sienna and Chloe's dress. Maybe the Chanel dress would look better on someone else, but Kristen Stewart ruined it for me. Just doesn't look right on her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i DIED when i saw chanel iman... i know that she is a model for a living, but damn... this girl has STYLE and isn't just a clothes horse... another one that made my heart skip a beat was diane kruger. she looks like a sassy glass of milk - who can wear full-body white and look AMAZING? only her... on to sjp... i usually love everything she wears - she's quirky and unique, yet this outfit fell flat to me. i think it's the hair?

    nonetheless, i like the fact that you did a wrap up of the met gala. i was looking at the lookbook on nymag today and saved a BUNCH of these photos in my inspiration folder.

    xo.
    princesspolitico.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jessica Alba, Sienna Miller, Blake Lively, Alexa Chung...are my favorites!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. hahahahahahahahahahahaha!!! Brilliant commentary! Spot on!

    Christina! You're a Goddess! Why this????

    Um...is it me or do Giselle and her husband's foreheads/hairlines look the same?? At first look I thought they had the same hairstyle!

    Chanel and SJP are my favourites. Love what Chanel's wearing. Alexa....hmmm... no. Love what she's wearing but not on her.

    I agree, not as exciting as previous years. Where are the turbans? The OTT OTKs'?

    theDUSKzone

    ReplyDelete
  10. i really love the neckline on alba's dress. if it was less shiny, it would be much better.

    elizabeth banks = sienna miller 3 years ago. over kill with the tights.

    love all your haute selections and agree about kstew. she looks uncomfortable (as always), but she's a bit too boyish for a dress like that. but whatever uncle karl says...

    love tina's pants. love SJP's dress, but not for the night. love chanel iman and alexa gets a thumbs up for changing it up.

    blake lively - mehhhhh. chloe, love it for her

    ReplyDelete
  11. Style wise..I still like what Sienna Miller puts together. Everything else..no comment ;)
    Gisele's dress was quite the hot number that night. I actually like what JLo wore..classic and not over the top

    ReplyDelete
  12. Christina Hendricks: OMG the boobs! hahahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVE the colour of Sienna's dress as well and had no idea her and Jude were back together! Would not have expected that. I have to agree with that pink satin thing that January is wearing... it's too high school prom for me. And yikes to Elizabeth Banks, that's just god awful.

    That gold MK number is hot, gotta love Chanel Iman. Love the colour of Chloe's dress, it looks great with her hair and complexion. LOL at the Blake Lively as a Real Housewife of Orange County, she is looking a big orange; great dress though. Love Alexa and how she changed it up w/pants, the shoes are amazing.

    GREAT post Niki! Your comments are hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  14. AHAHAH your commentary is spot on!

    ps. Alexa is gold

    ReplyDelete
  15. haha absolutely fantastic analysis of the evenings fashion!! My personal favourite was Coco Rocha in Zac Posen!! Amazing.

    www.beautifulstreets.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. "per se," not "per say," assuming you want to be taken seriously as a blogger of any sort.

    ReplyDelete